Friday, February 17, 2017

Meet the Forresters, Viola and Charles



Hi everybody.  My name is Viola Forrester and I’ve been asked to tell you a bit about myself and my husband, Charles.  

Let me start with a few words about my ma and pa, Mary and Ezra Benton.  Ma is the one that made wedding quilts for all her grandchildren.  Have you heard about that?


Anyway, because of pa’s health we had to move from Ohio to a warmer place.  It was our plan to go to Texas.  We were camped along the Missouri River outside of Boonville, Missouri, when pa took a turn for the worse.  It was a few days later that he went to meet his maker.  I was ten years old.

The folks in Boonville were kind to our family so Ma, my sister, brother, and I moved into a cabin that ma bought with the money she had from the sale of our farm.  


One day there was a knock on our door.  A big man, holding a young boy, asked for help.  The boy had fallen off his horse and hurt his leg.  That was the day my second pa and new brother came into our lives.  Ma and Edward Palmer were married in 1845.

When I was nineteen I was able to secure employment in Columbia. I kissed my family goodbye and started a new life, working in admissions at The Columbia School of Medicine.

I had been working there a short time when I met my future husband, Charles Forrester.  He was in his last year of medical school.  Charles was born in 1828 in Mossy Creek, Missouri. 



His mother, Elizabeth, helped to heal the sick, near and far, with home remedies she had learned from her mother.  Charles would go with her as she traveled from place to place and this is where he became interested in medicine.

It didn’t take long for me to fall hopelessly in love with him.  We were married right after he graduated and moved to Des Moines, Iowa where he opened his practice.  


Charles and I had four children: Georgie, Josephine, Ione, and Chase.  The rest of our stories can be found at……..










Check out all the stories about Grandma's Wedding Quilts at - https://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Wedding-Quilts/e/B01N0SW5XR


1 comment:

  1. This is so great getting a bit of back story for these amazing books

    ReplyDelete